Tuesday, September 10, 2013

Powerlifting Day 2: Deadlift

Deadlift day means a few things: short shorts, tall socks, tucked in tshirts, and chucks. I don't know why, but these things are almost requirements when it comes to deadlift day, each for their own reasons. Ever since I began taking leg days seriously, I've developed a real distaste for shorts that go down past my knees. In fact, I've even gone as far as lifting in my HS basketball practice shorts and may have acquired a pair or two of women's shorts just for the length. Go ahead, say something, but make sure you save it for right after I'm done deadlifting half the weight of your car...yeah, thas what I thought...

Tall socks serve the purpose of saving my chins from bar scrapes, chucks are the perfect flat, thin soled deadlifting shoes and the tucked in tshirts, I dunno, I just like doin it...whatever.

It's funny, every time I tell people I'm training for powerlifting, they automatically assume I'm going to start eating like a cow, get fat, and be one of those fat-strong guys you see at every gym. As a matter of fact I ran into a couple I met a few months back, Jeff and his fine ass gf Julie, and when Jeff asked "so what's new?" I proceeded to tell him about my venture into powerlifting and he immediately went down that road. I had to explain to him that not all power lifters are fluffy power houses, and I don't intend to become one either.  What people have a hard time understanding is half the reason I'm changing my routine is because the development of my body has slowed. I've been "bodybuilding" for a long time now and I've gotten bored with it, lost some of my desire to do it, and my body hasn't changed all that dramatically in the last few years. The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over expecting different results. Well I might be a lil crazy, but insane I am not.

No on to the workout...

Deadlift, the whole reason I came to the gym and my favorite exercise of all time.

Warmup set 1 3x135
Warmup set 2 3x225
Working set 1 5x295
Working set 2 5x340
Max effort set 6x385

With 5/3/1, on all of your big lifts, the last working set you're supposed to go all out and do as many reps of the predetermined weight as possible. The only time this changes is during each 4th week, which are deload weeks

I felt great during the warmup and working sets, and I feel like I could have gotten one more rep out during the max effort set but it would have likely been at the sacrifice of form which could lead to injury so I was like, nah.

The rest of the workout consisted of the assistance exercises which I'll list but not the weights and reps, they're not that important.

Glute Ham Raises
Hack Squats
Weighted Situps

I'm still not used to the lack of volume, but when you really lift heavy and with the right assistance exercises, well I still left dripping in sweat, tired, and satisfied with the work I did (thas what she said!). 

Tomorrow's an off day, my least favorite days of the week, but I get it, it's necessary for recovery so I'm not gonna protest. Maybe I'll do some yoga, or some HIIT cardio or something to keep my mind off the fact that I'm not lifting. Anyway, sorry this wasn't that entertaining, but there isn't anything flashy about deadlifts.

Like always, feel free to like, share, comment, favorite, +1, and subscribe. If you have any questions  don't hesitate to ask, and always remember, if it doesn't challenge you, it doesn't change you.

No comments:

Post a Comment