Monday, September 30, 2013

Powerlifting Week 3, Day 4: Squats and getting fat

I had what I felt like was a great squat workout friday, I was happy with the numbers, my form stayed true and I even made strides in one of my least favorite assistance lifts, the Hack Squat. Ironically, this lift that I hate so much is becoming one of my favorites to do because I love the feeling of progressing at something I suck at. I feel like of all my squat assistance moves, this one will benefit me the most as it recruits the same hip muscles needed to drive out of the hole when deep squatting.

My motivation for progressing in my hack squats right now is actually my brother, who texted me the other day telling me he did reps with 4 plates on each side for like 10 or something like that. I was happy for him and pissed at myself at the same time. My previous PB was higher reps of 2 plates on each side so I decided to push myself friday. for my last set, i slapped 3 plates on each side and banged out 10 reps. I'm adding a dime to each side in two weeks once the cycle starts over again.

All my life I've been bigger, stronger, and faster than my brother and I refuse to give that up now. I dont care that he works out just as much as I do, I'm bigger than he is, I should be stronger than him, period.

Here are my squat numbers for this week:

Rep Scheme: 5/3/1 (amrap)

Warmup set 1: 125x5
Warmup set 2: 155x5
Warmup set 3: 190x3
Working Set 1: 235x5
Working Set 2: 265x3
Working Set 3: 300x4

Assistance moves:

Good Mornings
Hack Squats
Toe To Bar/Hanging Leg Raises
Single Leg Pistol Squats

Like I said, I'm happy with the numbers and overall I feel like I had a pretty good workout. My main concern right now is gaining weight during this training. While my mission is to gain as much strength as possible, I dont intend to get fat while doing it. To be honest, I've been bullshitting when it comes to my diet for the last few weeks and the scale has reflected that. I've incorporated Intermittent fasting back into my routine and I've recalculated my macros. I'm back on the IIFYM train and have been doing well for the last few days. The two things I'm going to make sure to emphasize are: No "cheat meals" for a a few weeks, and if I didnt pack it, I dont eat it. There's alot of temptation here at work, as there is with any office job, so I'm going to make sure I deal with any temptation accordingly.

It's deload this week which makes me sad. For those of you that dont know what I mean, its a week where I let my muscles and CNS rest so I'm basically doing my warmup sets and calling it done. I'll still do my assistace lifts but no big weights this week. I'm going to take this opportunity to throw a little more HIIT cardio in to address my concern with gaining weight and just so I dont feel bad about myself lol.

Welp, thas all I've got for you today, I may or may not update during deload week since its gonna be lame so we'll see after tonight. As always, life begins outside your comfort zone so do somthing different because if it doesnt challenge you, it doesnt change you.

No comments:

Post a Comment