Monday, September 16, 2013

Powerlifting Day 3: Bench Press

First off, I apologize for not posting these on time. I mean I get that no one really cares, but its only my first week and I'm already slippin. Anyway...

Bench press, my most hated and underdeveloped lift. You would think a guy who can squat 400 and deadlift over 5 would be able to put up something near 300...nah, apparently not. So here's what my numbers looked like that day:

.90 Working Max: 230

Warmup set 1, 40% :95x5
Warmup set 2, 50%: 115x5
Warmup set 3, 60%: 140x5

Working set 1, 65%: 150x5
Working set 2, 75%: 170x5
Working set 3, 85%: 195 Amrap (as many reps as possible) x 15

So for those of you looking at this like "what the f*ck?" these numbers are all based off of an actual one rep max that i found the week before I started the program; I topped out at 250 for 2 reps. the formula is as follows (weight x reps x .0333 + weight) so 250 x 2 x .0333 + 250 = about 257.

You then take 90% of that one rep max, and that is the number you begin working with. This is the same for each of the 4 lifts.

I was pleasantly surprised at that 195x15 though because if you take that formula (WxRx0.0333+W) it comes out to be about 292. Which tells me that my actual one rep max is about 290. Now there's a disclaimer with the formula that says it works best in the lower rep ranges, but still, I was a tad bit excited.

I've neglected bench press for a number of reasons til now but mostly because I've always lifted with the mentality that I wanted to keep my workouts relevant to the sports I play (basketball and baseball), neither of which require much pressing power. From a bodybuilding perspective, benchpress may be the most popular exercise next to bicep curls, but for pure chest stimulation, its quite lacking. Most of the work you do when benching is with the triceps and front delts. I opted for more db bench press and various fly movements to relly get those chesticle fibers poppin.

Since I'm basically a bench noob, I'm still experimenting with grip type and width to find out which is most comfortable to me. shoulder width, outside shoulder width, thumb over, thumb under, it can be a little overwhelming. That doesnt even account for learning to properly arch my back, drive my feet through the floor and keep my glutes clenched. I've got a good handle on most of it but its alot to remember. I cant wait to get to the point when all of this becomes second nature and I dont have to think about it.

My assitance lifts for the day were:

Incline DB bench
DB Kroc rows (20-40 reps)
Tricep pushdowns

I'll do my best to get the squat day posting up tonight, as well as the posting for millitary press week 2 which is tonight's workout. I'm going to try and keep everything up to date as best I can if for no other reason, than because I'm holding myself accountable. Well thas it for now, remember: Life begins outside of your comfort zone. If it doesn't challenge you, it doesn't change you.

No comments:

Post a Comment